Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mother Earth Unit: Self Assessment and Reflection

So far, working on the green team has been an enjoyable experience, and I've learned much during this unit.  Our goal as a class is to change our school's recycling program and expand.  We've observed the student body completely disregarding recycling bins which are placed throughout every hallway in the school.  Even worse, we've witnessed our hard work go to waste when janitors toss trash and recyclables into the same bin after school.  It seemed like there was no way we could possibly have an impact on our school, minds already set throughout the hallways.

I used to think that recycling was such a waste, and I would recycle maybe half the time.  I didn't care what happened to my trash after I was done with it.  I figured that somewhere along the way my empty Snapple cans and water bottles would find their way to some incinerator and their journey would end there. Wrong.  Extensive research and time spent watching documentaries about recycling changed my mindset.  I have learned how harmful it can be to burn our recyclables.  Nearby families are in danger of disease and health hazards because of harmful chemicals.  Seeing individuals that were actually affected in the movie "Tapped" hit me hard.  I never thought twice about those who could be in danger.  I learned that one person can make a difference.  Spreading the word and setting examples keeps people informed, as knowledge is power.  Once I learned the facts about recycle, I never thought twice; I had to make a change.  I always recycled at home, but school was a different story.  I finally began to place my Snapple cans in the correct bins at lunch, even if the tiny entry hole was commonly covered by lunch trays.  I was too lazy to even lift up the tray and toss the can in.  How pathetic, I wasn't even doing something as easy as recycling my cans.  Next was water bottles, even though I wish I didn't buy any.  Who knew that the caps aren't recyclable?  Not many!  There's so much to learn and it can really make a difference when acted upon.  My next step is to buy a reusable water bottle, BPA free and safe.  I will be able to bring my water from home, and stop wasting so many plastic bottles!

As a team member, I've spread the word to classmates.  During lunch, my classmates and I keep and eye on what goes into the trash bins, since we sit right next to them!  We're sure to let people know when they've thrown something recyclable into the wrong bin!  They get so sick of hearing it that they make the change.  Furthermore, Andrew Major and I have recently taken the initiative to send an email to Don Czehut, informing him of the mistake that janitors continue to make.  Hopefully once they make the change of separating trash from recyclables, the school will begin to notice our hard work.

I see this becoming a life lesson, recycling is more important than i thought.  I feel empowered to make the change, and setting an example for others to follow.  It's almost exhilarating knowing that our class has made a difference, even if it's only impacted a few people, it's well worth it.  I often find myself looking through trash bins to see hidden cans or bottles that others have carelessly tossed.  Thanks to our GT seminar, I feel like I'm making a difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment